Obtaining a 15-day temporary permit

This is a one-time deal only! Once your child has received a temporary permit, he or she will be able to work for ONLY 15 days before it expires. Once a temporary permit has been issued, there will NOT be an opportunity to get another temporary. DO NOT apply for the temporary more than 1 day before a project.

This permit requires 3 steps


CLICK HERE to be redirected to the NYS Dept. of Labor’s TEMPORARY ONLINE APPLICATION form.

Be sure to have a bank account set up for your child. This must be a UTMA or UGMA account. You may also use a ‘Blocked Trust’ or California Coogan account.

Be sure to have your child’s Social Security Number accessible, as you will need this to complete the application.

Be sure that you are connected to a working printer! (This file can only open once; do NOT press the back button on your browser as you WILL lose the information.)


Fill out the application and Print.

Several pages will print out, but the first page will be the official 15-Day Temporary Permit. (This page will have the NY State Seal on it)

The additional pages will need to be filled out and mailed to the NYSDOL immediately. You will need several documents of identification for your child and signatures from school officials as well as a doctor’s note.


Make sure to bring the permit (PAGE ONE ONLY) to the shoot!

Without the permit in hand, a production company will NOT allow your child to work. It is a necessary document for insurance purposes.

Be sure to make a copy of your permit before you attend the shoot, to keep for your own records.